Studying for the SAT

Tips for preparing and studying for the SAT!

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.npr.org%2Fsections%2Fed%2F2015%2F06%2F03%2F411488278%2Ffree-online-test-prep-for-the-sat+

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/06/03/411488278/free-online-test-prep-for-the-sat

Mimi Davis, Staff Writer

The March SAT for most Juniors is quickly approaching, which means it is time for us to start preparing! The SAT is a rather important part in the college application process so you want to make sure you are putting your best foot forward when it comes to taking the test. Here is a list of helpful tips that can help you achieve your best on the SAT. 

Tip 1 – Analyze your Skills 

If you have the opportunity, I definitely recommend taking a practice exam or practice quiz before you start studying for the SAT! Lots of websites and companies like Revolution Prep and Khan Academy offer tests that can help you analyze your results and focus on what you specifically need to work on. This will be helpful when studying for the SAT because you will be able to hone in on the subjects you struggle with.

Tip 2 – Test Prep

Using the information you get from any practice exam or quiz, will be super beneficial during this step in the SAT process. Whether you join a class, get a tutor, or self-study, anything you do will be helpful in doing your best on the SAT. It is important to start test prep at least a few months before you take your exam, so you do not feel stressed or crammed, but it is hardly ever too late to practice or learn more.

Tip 3 – Type of Test Prep 

Determining the type of test preparation to do is also unique to each person. If you are a highly self-motivated individual who could keep to a strict studying schedule, then self-studying will work well for you. On the other hand, if you enjoy learning in a classroom setting with a teacher and other students to motivate you, then a SAT class may work best. And finally, if you want someone to help you work through questions that you specifically struggle with, then a private tutor may help the most. No matter what type, SAT prep is very beneficial and definitely an important factor in doing the best you can!

Tip 4 – Prepare the Night Before

The day of your SAT exam, you will probably be a little bit nervous, but in order to remain calm, you should try and eliminate all possible stressors that could occur. Making sure your calculator is charged, your pencils are sharpened, and you have a substantial breakfast the morning of, are essential to having a good test-taking experience. Also make sure to double-check your test location the night before, and know what time you need to wake-up and leave your house to get there in time. You will not be able to take the exam, even if you are late by one minute, so plan on getting there a little early. 

Tip 5 – Rest 

Possibly the most important tip on this list is to be well rested for your SAT exam. The night before, and even a few days leading up, make sure to get full nights of sleep. Staying up late the night before to cram in tons of information, will probably hurt your score more than help it. Your brain functions the best when its well-rested so try to prioritize rest before the test!

The SAT is a super important aspect of the college application process that everyone wants to do well on, so consider following these tips to do your absolute best!