The Rite of Passage to Gain the Right of Way

Nobilior - Fotolia

Smiling female driver

Mary Lorenz, Staff Writer

Driver’s Education. These words bring many feelings to a teen’s mind – excitement, dread, and apprehension. Most teenagers want to be able to drive, but don’t see the value in spending thirty hours sitting at a desk preparing to drive. While the hours may be long, they are necessary. Knowing the rules is crucial in making sure you are not breaking them. Some of the rules are not as obvious as most teens think, and it is important to know all of them. The daunting driver’s education experience is even causing teens to wait to drive because it is such a significant time commitment. Partially, they are right. Three hours a night for over two weeks is significant. Many students simply have too many activities to even consider tackling it during the school year. My own driver’s education class in the summer was filled with teens trying to get it out of the way before school started later in the month. Also, it is a time commitment for the parents who have to drive their teens to and from class every night. After considering all of this, society is, in a way, set up to dislike driver’s education. In my own experience, I did not look forward to the classes at the beginning, but soon realized that they were even entertaining at times. Some of the information is basic, but I still learned a lot. The feeling of accomplishment at the end was also worth it. I do feel more ready for when I do actually begin driving. I now have the classes out of the way so that when I get my permit later this fall, I will be one step closer to getting my license. Many teenagers feel that driver’s education is just an annoyance that is part of growing up. Some of it is tiresome, but I like to think of it as a rite of passage. The rite of passage that will give you the right of way.

Picture Credit: http://www.bennettsdrivingschool.com/driving-lessons-swindon.html