Ms. Reichelt: A Year in Review

Erin Shoul, Student Life Writer

“A teacher takes a hand, opens a mind, and touches a heart.” There are no words that better describe Mrs. Reichelt, NDP’s beloved English teacher.

From the very beginning, Mrs. Reichelt has had a love for learning and serving others.  She was born in New York and originally attended Marywood University to be a nun.  After deciding to pursue her love for education, she attended the Catholic University where she received her Master’s in English. After this, she worked at Calvert Hall, CCBC, and even taught a course in reading skills to athletes at Loyola University. It is safe to say that Mrs. Reichelt has seen it all!

Throughout her time here, Mrs. Reichelt has become infamous for her love of Romeo and Juliet, her annual Beowulf Bash, and involvement in the theater.  Her love for education, the students, and reading shines through in everything she does, as she strives to instill a love for learning and literature in every girl she teaches.  Along with her dedication to the students, Mrs. Reichelt also has a passion for the arts, gardening, and journaling.  I can personally say that she has been one of the biggest supporters of the arts at NDP, reading the newspaper, coming to concerts, and diligently working to make our theatrical productions a success.  She brings a new perspective to each show and inspires all of us to love theatre just a little more.

With this difficult year, Mrs. Reichelt has been a source of strength and courage to all of the students at NDP.  Acting as principal, and now serving as special assistant to the principal, Mrs. Reichelt stepped up to the plate, learning the crucial role that administration plays in the daily life at NDP.  I asked her about this new challenge, and while she missed seeing her students every day, she emphasized the perspective that acting in the role of principal gave her.  She said that she connected with the teachers and realized how there are so many decisions that must be made that affect the entire school, across departments, saying, “the principal oversees the inner workings that make the school as great as it is.” She now appreciates the students, teachers, and administration that make up the wonderful home we call NDP.

Being a student at NDP for six years now, I can personally attest to the influence that Mrs. Reichelt has been on shaping the minds of NDP students.  From her dedication to our theatre department, to her love for literature, she makes the effort to support students’ growth as a whole person.  She never fails to say hi to everyone she passes in the hallway and is always open to help with any problems.  I greatly admire and look up to the wonderful teacher, mother, and woman that is Mrs. Reichelt and couldn’t be more grateful for her presence at NDP.