Do You Hear the People Sing?

Do You Hear the People Sing?

Grace Sullivan, News Writer

As much as NDP students adore their little blue dress, their saddles, and their blazer, there is something else that we all bring to school each day that carries even more importance. Our voice. It is our voice that allows our thoughts to break free of our mind and actively engage in the world around us. At NDP, we are privileged to have a community of people willing to listen to every one of our unique and varied voices. While we may forget to appreciate the power that our voice holds, the people of Hong Kong cannot help but be painfully aware of what it means to have your voice stolen. Denied the right to elect their own leaders and run their own nation, Hong Kong is now speaking up in the fight against China’s muting power.

The root of this conflict lies in the 1900s when Hong Kong was returned to China after 150 years of British rule. Since its return to China, Hong Kong has operated with partial autonomy under what is called “one country, two systems” with Beijing’s communist rule. It was promised that Hong Kong would be allowed to elect its own leader through democratic elections in 2017, instead of being ruled by a committee from Beijing. The outrage was sparked this summer when China decided that it would be selecting the candidates for Hong Kong’s 2017 elections.

The protests were partially organized by the Hong Kong Federation of Students, but the students are not the only ones taking to the streets. Every day citizens of Hong Kong are demanding democracy, sovereignty, and the resignation of the current chief executive, Leung Chun-ying.

Umbrellas have been employed as shields against teargas and pepper spray as the police combat the protesters. There is much at stake for those taking a stand as the police response has been brutally reminiscent of what America witnessed in Ferguson.

The protests have permeated every aspect of life in Hong Kong. The annual fireworks celebration was canceled because it honors China’s National Day, and many companies have developed plans in the event that the streets are blocked because of demonstrators. Some of the most striking images of the demonstrations are the photos showing one protest banner reading, “Do U hear the people sing?” The people of Hong Kong are singing; the question is whether or not Beijing is listening.

Paterniti, Michael. “In China’s Shadow.” National Geographic: n. pag. Print.