UL Fall Concert 2022

Photos courtesy of Ms. Caine.

Madison Villarba, Co-Editor

Playing in my first band concert as a freshman has always been a hallmark of my experience at NDP. Now, as a senior, it’s safe to say that this year’s Upper Level Fall Concert was just as noteworthy. With an audience of over 600 people and performances from four of NDP’s music groups, it was certainly a night to remember.

The night began with an introduction and prayer from senior Ally Rossbach, the president of the Tri-M Music Honor Society. We then heard a word from Ms. Mimi Walsh-Wehberg, president of NDP’s Friends of the Arts or FOTA. Finally, the concert began.

The performances opened with two pieces from the orchestra led by Dr. Kuznik. They started with the well-known song “Amazing Grace” followed by a piece titled “Rondo.” After that was the chorus, directed by Ms. Bilenki; this group of girls also performed two pieces: the Swahili song “Baba Yetu” and “Song of Ruth.”

Next, Orchestra played their final two pieces “Bonny Portmore” and “The Hall of the Mountain King,” a song I’m sure many would recognize. Then Chamber Choir, also led by Ms. Bilenki, sang three beautiful pieces: “Non Nobis Domine,” “Earth Song,” and “Loch Lomond.” Afterwards, the concert band, directed by Mr. Dzbinski, took their place. They began with two pieces: a medley of songs from “The Phantom of the Opera” and a lively piece titled “Arabian Dances.”

Chorus returned with their final two songs, the famous “Blue Skies” and the a cappella piece “What Happens When a Woman.” Finally, the concert band closed the night with their pieces “Serengeti,” an African rhapsody, and “Music for a Darkened Theater,” a piece just in time for Halloween.

The concert was a success and certainly showcased the amazing talent of the NDP students and the great leadership of the NDP music department. It was a great way to end the month of October and certainly an event that I will remember for years to come!