Junior Year Check-In

Madison Villarba, Co-Editor

From junior retreat to getting our rings, this year has certainly been eventful for the Class of 2023. Now that we’ve become upperclassmen, many things have certainly changed. There are more difficult classes to get through, more traditions to look forward to, and more pressure regarding college decisions. Sometimes, it’s good to take a step back and look back on what we’ve been through.

The infamous pandemic has certainly changed things. While we were able to have a couple of quarters of normalcy our freshman year, we were soon faced with the prospect of virtual school. By the time sophomore year rolled around, we were back in person, but things were still far from normal, especially with only half of us going in person most of the year. Yet as time goes on, we hopefully inch more and more to a return to normalcy.

One of the first signals of a return to normalcy this year was AA. The return of school dances was certainly an exciting time, and it was a great chance for students to bond and have fun with each other towards the beginning of the school year. Our junior retreat was the next big thing to look forward to. With each advisory going to a different location, the retreat was a time for us to spend two days getting to know our classmates, growing stronger in our faith and identities, and taking a break from the stress of school.

Then, of course, after a long countdown, a long search for dresses, and a lot of preparation, the long-awaited Ring arrived. After the day began with the Ring liturgy and ceremony, we finally received our rings, something many consider our official initiation as upperclassmen at NDP. The festivities concluded with the dance later that night, and that was certainly a night to remember. Yet, there’s so much to look forward to as well. Once we finish out the first semester, there’s the beloved Gym Meet, sports games to be played, spring break, and so much more.

It’s hard to believe that we’re nearly done our first semester as juniors. Before we know it, the second semester will pass as well, and we’ll be seniors. Now that a new year is upon us, we should take the time to remember what’s important: enjoying the time we have left with the people around us.