Activities for Spring During COVID-19

Photo courtesy of Ms. Burns.

Madison Villarba, Assistant Editor

There are many things to be excited for with the coming of March: St. Patrick’s Day, Gym Meet, and, of course, the coming of spring. After a long, snowy winter, I think I’m certainly ready for warmer weather and more daylight. However, with the pandemic still in place, there are some limits on what we’re able to do. Below, you can find ten fun, pandemic-friendly things to do this spring!

1. Do some spring cleaning

With all the time we’re probably spending in our homes, especially our rooms, it’s a smart idea to take a look at our spaces and start decluttering. Make sure your room is free of dirty laundry and your desks and drawers are organized and free from junk. You can also rearrange your closet, exchanging those sweatpants and heavy jackets for shorts and t-shirts. From there, you can take any items you no longer need that are still in good condition and donate them to any local charities or to family members or friends in need.

1. Find a nice, spring read

Reading is and always has been a productive, beneficial activity. We all know that reading presents numerous benefits: a source of mental stimulation, reduced stress, improved vocabulary, and better concentration. If you’re struggling to find something good to read, you can check out one of NDP Gateway’s previous book review articles or even do a little research for yourself. Books that have popular TV and movie adaptations are a good place to start. You can even take the time to read outside if you need a change of scenery or want to take advantage of the longer daylight.

1. Go for an outdoor walk or run

As the weather gets warmer, we’ll soon find more and more opportunities to take advantage of the weather. Going outside for a walk or run is a great way to do so as well as get some good exercise in. Exercising outdoors offers a nice change of scenery, especially after having to spend so much time looking for ways to exercise indoors. Not to mention, exercising, and even just getting away from the computer, provide numerous health benefits such as improving metabolism, heart health, and mood as well as reducing stress.

1. Volunteer

Another benefit of warmer weather is the chance to volunteer outdoors at places such as farms or park clean-ups. You can even do something as simple as donating old clothes or items to people or organizations in need. Not only does taking the time to volunteer allow you to help others, but it can also make you feel better as well. Another way to find opportunities is through NDP’s various service clubs. Clubs like Cards For Courage are simple, but impactful, ways to help and give back to the greater community, especially our essential workers.

1. Start a garden

Gardening is a wonderful spring hobby to try out if you’re looking for something new. Even if you don’t necessarily have a green thumb, gardening is an enjoyable activity to try with many different health hand environmental benefits. Gardening brings you more organic food, less waste, and healthier ingredient options. It also provides numerous mental health benefits: increased self-esteem, overall happiness, and reduced stress. Whether you want to plant flowers and other decorative plants or vegetables and other foods, gardening is a great way to cultivate your talents and grow your own food.

1. Have an outdoor picnic

Having a picnic is a great way to spend some time outdoors and enjoy the nice weather with family or close friends. Pack up your supplies, prepare your food (or order it), go to the location of your choice, and eat and enjoy. You can even pack an outdoor game like cornhole or Spikeball. If you’re in a public space, make sure to wear masks when you go out to find a spot and stay socially distant from other parties. Don’t forget to clean up after yourself when you’re done.

1. Go nature watching

If you’re looking for a more solitary activity, nature watching is a fantastic option. This hobby gives you a chance to grow closer to nature and to appreciate the beauty of God’s creation. It has also proved to be an activity for reducing stress and anxiety and getting Vitamin D. Whether it’s the leaves as they grow back onto the trees, the birds as they slowly start to return, or the clouds as they move through the clear sky, there’s an abundance of things you can admire while you take the time to watch nature.

1. Go for a drive or ride

You can ride a bike or skateboard or drive around to enjoy the spring view. Riding a bike or going skateboarding are enjoyable forms of exercise with different health benefits. These activities can improve coordination, reflexes, mental health, and overall wellness. Additionally, going for a drive is also a way to get out of the house, check out the spring scenery, and clear your mind. Another activity that is a very pandemic-friendly option is attending a drive-thru event. From drive-thru movie theaters to light shows to fundraisers, there’s no doubt that you’ll find something for you.

1. Attend a virtual event

Since it’s harder to travel for spring break this year, you can take advantage of your online resources to find somewhere new to go virtually. Virtual events are an easily accessible, often low-cost way to have fun and gain valuable knowledge. Some great opportunities include virtual museum tours and conferences. Many platforms such as Zoom are perfect for hosting events of your own or even just small get-togethers with your friends. For high school students, virtual college tours or fairs are an especially safe alternative to traveling out of state during the pandemic.

1. Get ready for Easter

With the arrival of March, Lent is already in full swing. As you’ve probably heard in your religion classes, Lent is a time of preparation for the feast of Easter and the celebration of Jesus’s resurrection. As March and Lent come to an end, we know Easter is on its way. So, we can start decorating and making our plans. You can put up some decorations around the house, buy your favorite candy for Easter, or make some homemade Easter eggs. As Catholics, we can continue to pray and fast until that joyous Sunday finally arrives.

There’s a lot to love about springtime, even during a pandemic. With the countless number of opportunities out there, there are endless possibilities of activities to do and hobbies to pick up during this season of growth and renewal. Stay safe, have fun, and enjoy your spring!