Slipping on the Saddles: NDP from the Perspective of a 6th Grader

Caroline Wilking, Staff Writer

At the start of every new school year, the faces of new freshmen appear in the halls. These girls must figure out how to navigate the building and manage their classes, all while making new friends and settling into their home for the next four years. Going to a new school is an amazing experience, but for some Notre Dame Prep girls, this change happens three years earlier at the start of middle school. Kate Wilking ’23 came to NDP as a sixth grader this year, and her transition has been mostly exciting, but also hectic at times.

Interviewer: Why did you choose to come to NDP?

Kate: I wanted more chances to grow in my classes, sports, and music. NDP seemed like the best fit for me.

Interviewer: How is NDP different from your old school?

Kate: NDP uses laptops, which makes it easier for me to take notes and review them. I can take notes directly on the PowerPoints. My old school didn’t have laptops, and I really enjoy having them now. Also, it is very easy to communicate with my teachers because of the laptops.

Interviewer: What has been the hardest part of your transition?

Kate: The hardest part for me was learning how to get around the building without getting lost. It took about a month for me to really know where I was going.

Interviewer: What extracurricular activities have you gotten involved in this year?

Kate: I was on the field hockey team this fall and I am on the basketball team this winter. I am also a part of campus ministry.

Interviewer: How are you managing your classes this year?

Kate: It was a little difficult at first, but my teachers always explain what we’re learning very well so I can understand it. There isn’t too much homework for me to handle even with my activities after school.

Interviewer: What kinds of opportunities have you had at NDP that you are grateful for?

Kate: NDP gives you a lot of chances to try new things like clubs, music groups, and sports. NDP’s middle level band is a step up from my old school’s band so I can challenge myself to get better at the saxophone.

Interviewer: How was your experience making friends at NDP?

Kate: Coming to NDP, I only knew a few people, and I wasn’t expecting it to be easy to make friends because I am very shy. Then, people in my classes started talking with me and sitting with me at lunch, and we just became friends. I have really enjoyed being at NDP so far and I am excited to experience more of NDP in the future.