NDP Gateway

Foundation Day at NDP!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Foundation Day at NDP!

Erin Diehl, Staff Writer

On Friday, October 19, the Notre Dame Prep community proudly commemorated our cherished Foundation Day, which is the 185th since its monumental inception. This holiday annually celebrates the School Sisters that established an impressive congregation, and are solely responsible for the creation of our amazing school!

A select group of sisters, led by Mother Theresa Gerhardinger, instituted this particular parish almost two centuries ago in Bavaria, Germany. These dominant women devoted the remainder of their lives to assisting the poor and honoring the Blessed Virgin Mary, as well as serving as an ideal role model to the capable girls that would experience her growing influence in the future.

The ceremony began with an adored tradition as the 50th anniversary class, including NDP’s own Mrs. Potter and Mrs. Kaiser, processed down the aisles with their green and yellow class banner in hand while the current pupils looked on. Surely, these gifted graduates relished over their delightful memories when they wore our true blue dress, whether that be winning the silver cup at Gym Meet, leading their former sports team to victory, or even seeing a familiar face in the hallway. This special custom is one that our thousands of beloved alumnae anticipate.

As the class of 1968 took their seats, the gathered guests participated in liturgy that highlighted the pinnacle of what the SSND’s stand for: complete love and faith. The dedication to spreading the good news of Christ is what Mother Theresa wished to achieve when she founded this organization as a mere teenager. The student body, as well as our welcomed visitors, relay the message of these important teachings every day, as did this Mass. It truly was a fantastic element to the ceremony.

Though the 50th year celebration is in the distant future for many of our NDP sisters, it is a real privilege to be reminded of the magnitude of the extensive work that has been accomplished throughout the years of the School Sisters of Notre Dame. We look forward to many more to come!