An “Eggciting” Day for Science at NDP

Via Notre Dame Prep’s Instagram

Kathleen Miller, Staff Writer

On February 4th, Notre Dame Prep hosted its annual Egg Drop competition for girls from local elementary and middle schools with “eggcellent” results. The challenge was to create a device that would protect an egg or two from two drops from the Dining Room’s tall ceiling. Teams of two to four would have 30 minutes to create their devices before Mr. Peri dropped them from the ceiling. Also, each team participated in an on-the-spot engineering challenge. Scores from each of these challenges were put into a formula that would determine the winner. This year’s Egg Drop was the biggest to date, but thanks to the fabulous planning of Mr. Peri and the Science National Honor Society officers and help from 98 Science National Honor Society members, the event was successful.

The event included two divisions. Division 1 was a competition for 4th and 5th grade girls, and Division 2 a competition for 7th and 8th grade girls. 18 teams competed in Division 1, where the challenge was to create a device that would protect one egg. There were 33 teams in Division 2, where the challenge was to create an apparatus that would protect two eggs. Multiple variables were plugged into a formula that would award an apparatus that was small and light, but still protected the eggs.

The event was a huge success. It was a fun day for all-students and parents alike. A total of 171 girls competed in Egg Drop 2017. Under the direction of the ever-enthusiastic Mr. Peri, the Science National Honor Society planned and executed another great event, which encourages a love of science in young girls that will last a lifetime.