NDP Gateway

AA Whole New World!

Back to Article
Back to Article

AA Whole New World!

Maeve Sheehey, Co-Editor

I vividly remember seeing pictures of AA Dance when I was a freshman. It all looked so glamorous to me… I couldn’t wait to wear the themed dresses and saddles that I saw in every photograph of that year’s seniors. It wasn’t until this August that I really understood the process behind making AA dresses. As it turned out, it involved a lot of late night sewing parties, with me cutting fabric on the floor as my more artistic friends did the real work. “Glamorous” did not seem like quite the word to describe it.

However, when the work was done, my friends and I had the most iconic NDP dance ahead of us: AA. When we walked through the doors last Friday evening, we were surrounded by a variety of Disney characters (and juniors) who lined the cafeteria. The Little Mermaid, Toy Story, Up, and more were all represented in brightly colored, homemade dresses. It truly looked like a scene out of a Disney movie… or, rather, many scenes from many Disney movies.

Dancing began right away, with a playlist full of senior song suggestions. This year’s dresses must have been well sewn, because nobody seemed to be holding back for fear of a seam ripping. For the most part, the dancing continued all night, except for the occasional visit to the temporary photo booth that was set up in the corner. Seniors, juniors, and even chaperones seemed to be having the time of their lives at this Disney-centered dance.

Finally, at the end of the night, the Mickey Mouse balloons waved good-bye as the dance floor began to thin out. The night was over, but some unforgettable memories were certainly made during 2016 AA Dance. Elena Benassi, class of 2017, happily recounted, “I had the best time at my senior AA Dance. I loved dressing up with my best friends and dancing to the music from my favorite childhood movies. I only wish that every dance were Disney themed!” Lara Youniss, also a senior, was eager to share her AA experience. “DJ Mike on the Mic was phenomenal,” she explained. “I think that this year, we really had the perfect dance.”

All in all, AA Dance was truly a night to remember for seniors and juniors alike. Although it was the last Class of 2018/Class of 2017 hybrid dance, the memories made last Friday will last a lifetime. Being a senior at AA Dance was truly like a whole new world… and a magical one, too!