Freshman Retreat 2019

Katie Lorenz, Staff Writer

The class of 2019 is officially the class of plum and turquoise! This was shared with them at the end of their retreat on October 14. The girls started the retreat by receiving half of a saddle shoe picture from a senior on the way into the Middle Level gym. Once everyone was settled, Mrs. Carlson, Upper Level Campus Minister, announced that every girl was going to find her pair. After some girls almost found the wrong pair, all of the girls were settled with their partners. Then, Mrs. Carlson explained the point of the activity. Even though it was early in the 9th grade year, everyone would find their friend or their place at NDP, even if it took them a long time. Then, before going up to the fields, the seniors painted one white and one blue line across the girls’ cheeks to unify them. Once they were on the sports fields, the girls worked together to play games and then line themselves up by height and birthday without talking. This made it so that the girls had to communicate in more creative ways. After a snack, the class was split into small groups and sent to different parts of the building. Each group had two or three seniors with them to lead discussions and provide advice. The girls talked about how freshman year had been going so far and any questions they had. Before leaving, each girl wrote a letter to herself to be read on senior retreat, as advice to their future selves. At the prayer service after small groups, the seniors gave more advice with the readings and prayers. Sister Patricia came and blessed them before they went to the dining room doors to see their class colors. After a lot of excitement, the doors were opened to the colors of plum and turquoise on the tables and chairs. The day finished with lunch in the dining room surrounded by their class colors and classmates. This will be a day that all of the freshmen can remember until they are seniors, especially when they are reading the advice from their past selves!