Nurse of the Future?

I even got to wear scrubs!

I even got to wear scrubs!

Katelyn Feihe, Staff Writer

Holding newborn babies, giving first baths, and scrubbing in on a major surgery…what better way to see if a nursing career is the path for me? I am so lucky to go to a school like Notre Dame Prep, not only because I receive a top-notch education, but also because of the vast amounts of experiences and connections I am able to make outside the classroom. This past summer over 100 NDP students, including me, were able to participate in Notre Dame Prep’s Women in Science program. Coordinated by NDP Biology teacher, Mr. Peri, students who are interested in potentially pursuing a career in science interned with various doctors and nurses in local hospitals.

As a science-lover, I was ecstatic to participate! During the first week of August, I shadowed at University of Maryland St. Joseph’s Medical Center in the OB-GYN department. I spent time in the Perinatal Unit where I observed sonogram readings and tests, saw a caesarean section procedure on the Labor and Delivery floor, visited the NICU, and scrubbed in on, and stood for, a three hour hysterectomy surgery. These experiences were life-changing! After receiving all of these firsthand experiences, I realized that a career in science, specifically nursing, is for me.

Other students had various experiences at other local hospitals, shadowing nurses and doctors in all different departments, or participating in camps about the environment, engineering, and other STEM related topics. I highly encourage students to take advantage of this program next summer. You will not regret it!