This One Time at Band Camp…

Natalie Pucillo, Music Writer

“This one time, at band camp…”

You’ve probably heard that joke a thousand times, whether you are involved in music or not. It’s a classic joke, brought about by movies and social media, even if the joke seems to mostly fall flat. However, when you’re a musician, intensive camps are a necessity- without them, music groups could be in major treble.

At NDP, music camps are required for students entering a performing arts class. A camp is offered for each specific- concert band, jazz band, orchestra, and chamber choir. These camps are similar to “normal” rehearsals during the school year. However, they are different for one large reason- each group has new members and a new sound. Summer music camps are very important because they give students the time to get used to a new group, especially the freshmen. However, soon enough, the groups became in tune with their surrounding musicians.

Overall, the music camps were very successful. The Concert Band began songs such as Phantom of the Opera and Strauss’s Radetzky March. Orchestra delightedly prepared for the cold weather with a medley from Frozen. Even Chamber Choir, larger than it’s ever been, was delighted to bond as a group with more songs than can be mentioned, ranging from liturgical to more popular pieces. These two to three days of preparation for the music year went over very well for every group. All were given difficult pieces of music, but none of the teachers had to consider scaling back- the groups definitely measured up.

Teachers and students alike are all very excited for the new year. One person who really summed it up was new NDP teacher Ms. Bilenki when she exclaimed, “I am thrilled to be joining the Music Department at NDP. After just one two hour rehearsal with the chamber choir, I am so very excited and amazed at the possibilities for this year – the girls are poised, extremely hard working, eager and enthusiastic, and it is so obvious to see that they love music. I look forward to making beautiful music with the young women at NDP!” At a school with such an affinity for the arts, it is obvious that this year will produce extra sharp musicians!