Blazers Lacrosse 2019

From NDP Instagram

Erin Diehl, Staff Writer

This year, the NDP Blazers step out onto the field with a new title to defend—champions. Following their monumental victory over McDonogh last season, one can only wonder if they will be triumphant yet again.

For the first time in almost a decade, the Eagles fell to Notre Dame’s own team of blue and white in an exhilarating game that ended with a score of 11-10, causing McDonogh’s first loss in 198 games. However, since the Blazers hoisted their trophy, their team has undergone many changes. Many of last year’s influential seniors went off to college, leaving behind a different team, but still full of tremendous talent.

Junior defender Sophie Davis, says, “The team is young this year and we have big shoes to fill, but we are really coming together. The team gets better with every practice and game.” Without a doubt, this squad will continue to shape up with the remainder of the season. Under the authoritative direction of Coach Mac Ford, Blazers Lax has already found great success this season. At their highly competitive tournament in Orlando, Florida, the Blazers had an impressive record of 2-1 with victories over IMG Academy and Lassiter High School. Back in Maryland, this tenacious unit has also already defeated Mount de Sales Academy and Maryvale Prep. With their sticks in their hands, these persistent athletes will not be stopped!

Certainly, there is no lack of undeniable skill amongst the girls on One Love Field. However, will that be enough to reign victorious again? Stay tuned to find out! Go Blazers!