Sisterly Advice: Edition 2

Sharon, Karen, and Carol, Advice Columnists

1. How to be okay with one’s own progress and how to resist the urge to compare oneself to others?   — Self-Conscious Sally 

Sharon: Self-Conscious Sally — This one’s a toughie. I’ll pause on the jokes for a second. This is something that even adults still have trouble with. Any progress is progress, no matter what. Remember that everyone is on their own road, and everyone had their own share of obstacles in life. There is no finish line. Keep in mind that set backs are just that — set backs. You’ll recover and eventually get to something great at your own speed. Remember to be proud of yourself for how far you’ve made it, and take time to live in the moment. Or wear black out goggles so you can’t see anyone.

Karen: Sally, I know that high school can be a difficult at times, but just remember that even the seemingly “best” of us compare ourselves to others at some point. Just know that you are enough. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. For example, your friend may have a very logical way of thinking, and excels at math, but meanwhile you struggle. But you are a great public speaker, and the thought of giving a speech scares her to death. See? Just know that everyone progresses in their own way, on their own time, and has different areas of interest.

Carol: Dear Self-Conscious Sally, Try to find at least three things that you are grateful for every day. Take breaks from social media because it can be hard to feel good about yourself when you are looking at other people’s “perfect” lives, clothes, etc. Resist the urge to ask classmates what their test results are. Focus on your progress and the knowledge you gained rather than how your grade compares to everyone else’s. Resist the urge to “one up” others and surround yourself with positive, kind friends who support you and like you for you. Personally, the one that has helped me the most is developing an attitude of gratitude. I hope this helps!

2. Hi! I have two questions and they’re kind of random. 1. Is a hot dog a sandwich? 2. What’s behind that little door by the Trading Post? — Hungry and Curious

Sharon: Hi, Hungry and Curious — Honestly the hot dog question offends me. No. It is NOT a sandwich. Second, we don’t talk about that door… 

Karen: Hungry and Curious,

Sandwich noun — an item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with meat, cheese, or other filling between them, eaten as a light meal.

SO YES, judging from this definition, a hot dog is a sandwich. As for the door by the Trading Post, I think that it’s used to store extra #ndp4u gear, but idk.

Carol: Dear Hungry and Curious, I think if I had to put it into a category, I would say a hot dog is a sandwich. I’m not sure about the little door, but I think Karen is probably correct.

3. Parallel or Humanities? I need an unbiased opinion. Thanks! — Sincerely Me

Sharon: Hi, Sincerely Me, I too have once faced this problem. I have decided instead to drop out of school. Good luck!

Karen: Dear Sincerely Me, I would say Humanities is more for the discussion-based learner who likes to incorporate different aspects of multiple subjects into the information she is studying. Parallel, I have heard, is challenging but rewarding, and prepares you well for college level classes. But in the end, I would advise speaking to students who have taken those classes, and also talk with your teachers. Good Luck!

Carol: Dear Sincerely Me, In Humanities the subjects History/Religion and English are intertwined. Humanities is designed to give you a deep understanding of deep issues in the world around you. There are a lot seminars and more project-based learning than test-based learning. Everyone I know who is taking this course really enjoys the class and everything they learn. In Parallel, the classes of History and English are taught together but they are not as intertwined. For example, while you are learning about the 1920s in the History section, you will be reading The Great Gatsby in the English section. You also write more papers and do an 80 minute presentation each semester. I hear Parallel is a very beneficial class because it prepares you for college level work and thinking, but it is also very hard. As Humanities is phases 3 or 4 and Parallel is AP, try to think about what would be best suited for you to handle. Also, please talk to people who have firsthand taken each of the classes before making your decision. Good luck!

4. How do you recommend spelling dolphin noises? “eei eei eei eeiiiii” or “eigh eight eieighsasgdfjgkhl” ? — writing books about marine life

Sharon: It is spelled as follows: D-O-L-P-H-I-N  N-O-I-S-E-S (ˈdälfən noiz, phonetically)

Karen: I would suggest something more like: *click* *click* *whistle* whistle*

Carol: Dear writing books about marine life, I would recommend “eee eee eee.” I think that accurately captures the way dolphins sound.

*Spring Bonus Question!*

How much will it take to bribe mother nature to make it spring? — Cold

Sharon: Normally, if I slide her a 20 she cooperates, but she can be fickle.

Karen: Cold, there is no bribing Mother Nature. As Mrs. Susan Dregier once said, “Beware the Ides of March”

Carol: Dear Cold, Unfortunately, Mother Nature is not taking bribes at this time. She is too busy making it cold in March.

Make sure to submit more questions/problems/advice here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LZZBYGV