The First Annual Blazer Day: A Blazing Success!

Angela Estavillo, Co-Editor

Nearly every NDP girl is familiar with Blazer Dash: a Sunday morning spent running or walking (or even jumping on a moon bounce) with friends in order to raise money for the scholarships that have been established in honor of departed alumnae. In essence, it is a day about honoring the past and looking toward the future — all the while enjoying the present. And as Mary reported in her pre-Blazer Dash story, this year, we upgraded this beloved tradition to an all-out Blazer Day, which took place on September 24.

In addition to the 5K run and 1 mile walk, participants had the opportunity to watch the Ravens game on TV screens in the foyer. Those with a taste for the savory and sweet engaged in some friendly competition during the chili cook-off and cupcake contest. Face painting, food trucks, and yes, the beloved moon bounce, made the experience complete. Regardless of how they spent the day, those present were able to revel in the camaraderie that makes this occasion a delight year after year. As co-coordinator Ms. Sheehey remarked, “Blazer Dash is one of my favorite NDP events of the year because it brings together everyone — students currently enrolled, as well as alumnae and families.”

The 2017 race boasted 987 registrants, which simply quantifies the zeal that lies at the heart of this event. May all future Blazer Days continue to capture the spirit of tenacity and togetherness that defines the NDP community!