Teacher Feature: Ms. Acaso

Jenna Thompson, Staff Writer

NDP’s STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, math) is one of the many programs that makes NDP so special. Joining the STEAM Team this year is Ms. Acaso! Although it is Ms. Acaso’s first year teaching, she is not so new to NDP. She not only went here, but worked here last year over in the Development Department. This year Ms. Acaso is teaching all Freshmen Tech Classes, Intro to Engineering, and the 7th grade Explore: Intro to Coding. A few weeks ago, I got to sit down with Ms. Acaso to catch up with how her first year teaching at NDP is going.

Jenna Thompson: Why did you want to become a teacher?

Ms. Acaso: My mom was a teacher, and so growing up I always heard about what she doing and what she was teaching. Also, I spent a lot of time at day care, and I always liked looking after the younger kids and showed them the ropes of being a day care kid.

JT: What’s the best part about being a teacher?

MA: Getting to work with students and feed off their energy. Working in a classroom is unlike working in any other environment because of the excitement of students.

JT: What’s the hardest thing about being a teacher?

MA: The hardest thing so far is getting up and speaking in front of a class for forty minutes. I am an introvert, so it’s a little tiring, but I am sure I will get used to it quickly!

JT: Alright, now for some Fast Fun Facts: favorite color?

MA: Purple.

JT: Favorite animal?

MA: Panda.

JT : Favorite thing about NDP?

MA: Traditions.

JT: Where did you go to college?

MA: University of Notre Dame.

JT: What did you major in?

MA: Mechanical engineering, with a minor in theology.

JT: Ever worked at an unusual place?

MA: I was the receptionist at my church in high school.

JT: Do you have a favorite quote?

MA: An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. -G.K. Chesterton