7 April Movie Recommendations

Sofia Rest, Staff Writer

As we approach the end of the school year, you may find that you’ve exhausted your current watchlist or are looking for more movie recommendations. Whether you’ve already got a tissue box and ice cream lined up, have been looking for an action-packed adventure, or just want a good laugh, you’re in luck! The following movie list contains a variety of different movie recommendations spanning many different genres, moods, and themes to fit any attitude.

1. “The Princess Bride,” made in 1987, is a classic fairytale-based adventure story that follows the beautiful Buttercup and her true love, a farm boy named Westley, as they climb the Cliffs of Insanity, survive multiple assassination attempts, brave the dangerous Fire Swamp, and more. This movie is a timeless classic that will leave you laughing at the dialogue, on the edge of your seat as the characters duel, and crying with happiness as you approach the fairytale ending.

While home sick in bed, a young boy’s grandfather reads him the story of a farmboy-turned-pirate who encounters numerous obstacles, enemies and allies in his quest to be reunited with his true love.

2. “Interstellar,” a science fiction film released in 2014 and set in the apocalyptic future, explores the concept of a time-bending wormhole and follows a team of scientists as they race to find a habitable world before humanity becomes extinct. This movie is not simply action and adventure — it deals with the relationship between a father and his daughter and crafts an intricate mystery to be solved at the end. You’ll love watching this if you’re looking for a fantastical take on the ever-evolving mystery of wormholes and their implications on our understanding of space and time.

A team of explorers travel through a wormhole in space in an attempt to ensure humanity’s survival.

3. “The Truman Show,” released in 1998 and starring Jim Carrey, presents the fascinating premise of a reality TV show in which the life of the unwilling lead is unknowingly broadcast to the entire world. This movie combines surface-level comedy with psychological intrigue, as well as deeper themes that subtly critique modern-day television and marketing strategies, challenge our reality, and ultimately turn the camera to the viewers.

An insurance salesman discovers his whole life is actually a reality TV show.

4. “The Sixth Sense” is a psychological thriller that puts a unique and riveting spin on the timeless premise of “I can see ghosts.” Told from the perspective of a troubled and haunted child psychologist, a young boy struggles with his propensity for seeing and interacting with the dead. I won’t spoil much, but the ending will leave your mouth hanging open with surprise and revelation as strings are connected and mysteries are revealed!

A boy who communicates with spirits seeks the help of a disheartened child psychologist.

5. The much-loved “Dead Poets Society” takes place in the elite and ultra-conservative all-boys Welton Academy, where the story follows the impact a new English teacher has upon his impressionable and wayward students. This movie is a must-watch for any English, poetry, and drama enthusiasts. Its touching exploration of teen friendship combines with struggling parent-child relationships to tug at your heartstrings as the boys at the academy rebel against conformity and everything they’ve been taught.

Maverick teacher John Keating uses poetry to embolden his boarding school students to new heights of self-expression.

6. The historical drama “All the President’s Men” recounts the unfolding of the 1972 Watergate scandal from the perspectives of Washington Post investigative journalists Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein. If you love learning about history or are interested in researching events that still affect the relationship between the US government and its citizens today, this movie is a great way to learn about the scandal in an intriguing manner. The film takes care to present events with relative historical accuracy, as both Bernstein and Woodward commented on the first few screenplay drafts, although an analysis of historical inaccuracies can be found on this website if you want to know more.

The Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein uncover the details of the Watergate scandal that leads to President Richard Nixon’s resignation.

7. Pixar’s WALL-E is a great option to watch if you’re looking for a feel-good, romantic love story that also focuses on the future of humanity when it comes to taking care of the Earth. This animated film is about a robot named WALL-E, who has been tasked with cleaning up a polluted Earth so that humanity may eventually come home, and his love for the reconnaissance robot EVE, who has returned to Earth in search of signs of life.

In the distant future, a small waste-collecting robot inadvertently embarks on a space journey that will ultimately decide the fate of mankind.

I hope this list of movie recommendations has managed to give you new ideas for your watchlist as we begin the much-awaited Spring Break! Good luck to everyone and happy Spring Break.