New Teacher Feature – Ms. Caton

Shes+the+one+in+the+red%21+

She’s the one in the red!

Emma Beernink, Staff Writer

Math class: synonymous with difficulty for some, and for others, can be a great time to flex their understanding of the different theorems and graphs. Ms. Caton, a new addition to NDP’s Math Department, definitely is part of the latter.

I recently got the chance to sit down with her to talk about her career in the math and teaching world. Ms. Caton began her career loving math in her high school courses and moved on to a fulfilling education, which allowed her to pursue positions teaching high school math courses.

Emma Beernink: Where did you go to high school?

Ms. Caton: I went to Seton Keough. Mr. Ellis actually taught me history for three years.

EB: Where did you go to college? What did you major in?

MC: I went to Towson for undergrad and majored in math and economics. I’m currently studying at Hopkins, getting my masters in math.

EB: Did you play any sports or participate in any clubs/activities that made your experience memorable?

MC: I played rec field hockey and then played my freshman and junior year of high school. I was injured in and out, and actually had to get knee surgery, so I was out a lot of the time. I also was the treasurer of the National Honor Society, and my senior year, my class started the Walk for Hope. It’s a walk-a-thon on a school day to raise money for St. Jude’s. I had a classmate who had a battle with cancer, and thankfully, she recovered. It actually has been going on for nine years. I coach basketball, too.

EB: Where else have you taught? Did you teach math or another subject?

MC: I taught math at Mount St. Joe’s.

EB: What is your favorite part about teaching? How did you know it was for you?

MC: I love math, and I want to break the stigma that math is terrible. I remember in high school that when I had a good teacher, I would love math, but when I had a bad teacher, it wasn’t so great. I had a really great teacher, Mr. Carroll, who really motivated me to teach math.

EB: Okay, now some fun ones. What kind of music do you like to listen to?

MC: Honestly, all kinds of music. I love country, but also like old-time music. Anywhere from Dean Martin to the Backstreet Boys. It just depends.

EB: What is your favorite color? Favorite food?

MC: Color, purple. I love all foods!

EB: You can pick a top three!

MC: Okay, so I like Chipotle, pasta, and crabs.

EB: How about a dessert food?

MC: Snickerdoodles!

EB: Dogs or cats?

MC: Oh, dogs, definitely. I like big dogs. I had a chocolate lab and a black lab.

EB: What is your favorite book or genre that you enjoy reading?

MC: Harry Potter! I’ve read it at least seven times. I would re-read the series every time a new book came out. Most any type of book is fine, but I really have to be sucked in by the second chapter. Mysteries are great.

EB: If you could spend a day with a celebrity, whom would you chose?

MC: Oh, that’s so hard! (pause) I think Ellen DeGeneres. She would be super fun. Plus, I feel like she would take me to meet other celebrities, like Justin Bieber, or Justin Timberlake. It’s like a package deal.

EB: If you were to join the circus, what would you perform?

MC:  I feel that I would probably be a lion tamer… but not a tight rope walker. Absolutely no heights!

EB: What is your favorite season?

MC: Fall. Sweater weather. Can’t beat it.

EB: Okay, last question- but it is a little bit more serious. If you could give one piece of advice to your students, what would you tell them?

MC: So I understand the need to get into a good school, to get good grades, to be well-rounded, but you need to make time for your family. That’s something I feel like I neglected that as a high schooler. Try to take a day to take care of yourself, to de-stress. It’ll be okay.