The NFL Circus of Controversy

Morgan Peck, Student Writer

It is officially fall: the time of sweaters, pumpkin-spice everything, and football. Every year I look forward to Purple Fridays, when I can proudly display my home pride by wearing my favorite Ravens jersey. This year, however, the jersey is not going to be the same. This season the number 27 is not going to be a symbol of pride.

When TMZ leaked the video of Ray Rice dragging his unconscious then-fiancée Janay Palmer out of a hotel elevator, the beloved image of the former Ravens running back was called in to question. How could this cold character be Ray, who has accomplished great feats on and off the field? That first video sparked a whirlwind of controversy and investigation with a media circus that still engulfs the NFL today.

Rice was indicted on March 27 for aggravated assault in the third degree. With court approval, he was later admitted into a one-year diversionary program that involves anger management classes and no conviction. This is an extremely rare course of action, considering the violent nature of the crime. His June disciplinary meeting in front of Commissioner Roger Goodell resulted in a two game suspension, a decision widely criticized and questioned by the press and public. In response to the public outcry, Goodell instated a new policy in regards to domestic abuse in the league: the first offense would be punished with a six-game defense, and a repeat offense would result in the player’s termination from the league.

From the court of law, Rice’s case was thrown into the court of public opinion. Chaos erupted on September 8 when TMZ released a second video, this one of the events inside the elevator. The image is chilling: Janay Rice crumples under the left fist of her fiancée while he stands there unmoved. Any remaining semblance of Rice’s reputation was shattered. People cried for greater punishment, and it was swiftly given. The Ravens released Rice that afternoon, and Goodell suspended him indefinitely from the NFL.

What Ray Rice did is absolutely inexcusable. Abuse of any kind toward any person is inexcusable. To see a man who was such an integral part of the Ravens and the Baltimore community commit such a violent and awful crime is heartbreaking. It, unfortunately, has overshadowed all his good deeds: his campaign against cyber bullying and his fundraising for sick children, to name a few. However, Ray Rice is not the only one who is in the harsh spotlight of public scrutiny. Roger Goodell has come under fire for dropping the ball on Rice’s punishment, and so have the Ravens.

The investigation conducted by the Ravens executives and Commissioner Goodell was grossly mishandled. Personal bias clouded the judgment and justice taken by those in authority. The security tape was available to Goodell and the Ravens; Rice’s defense attorney had in his possession a copy and discussed it with Dick Cass, president of the Ravens. The men in charge of deciding Rice’s punishment were men close to him, a conflict of interest reflected in a series of text messages relayed to Rice from Steve Bisciotti, owner of the Ravens, in which he said he “loved you (Rice) as a player” and that Rice has “a job waiting for you with the Ravens.” Right before these messages were received Bisciotti sent a letter on behalf of the team saying that the organization was revolted by the video and unanimously decided to let Rice go.

Ray Rice never denied that he had hit Janay. He did not attempt to sugarcoat the assault, and in fact, told his story truthfully to his superiors and Commissioner Goodell. Rice had received his punishment, then had the rug ripped from underneath him in a twisted case of double jeopardy. On September 7 Rice went to bed thinking in a few days he would be back playing for the Ravens and woke up the next day with no job and no prominent hope of ever playing in the NFL again. Goodell was so concerned with assuaging the public and keeping up appearances that he contradicted himself and undermined a policy that was going to send the league in a positive direction.

More cases have surfaced since the Ray Rice incident. Greg Hardy has been convicted of assaulting and threatening to kill his girlfriend and is looking to appeal. Adrian Peterson is indicted on charges of reckless or negligent injury to a child for whipping his four-year-old son and is waiting for a trial. Both cases have graphic evidence of the abuse. Both raise harsh questions about the conduct of players in the NFL. Neither has suffered any retribution from the league.

In a culture of protecting celebrity and cutting popular figures a break due to their status, it is disturbing to think that domestic violence is being covered up in order to save face. According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, about 20 people each minute are subject to physical abuse in their relationship. The Notre Dame Prep family is too aware of how dangerous and fatal relationship violence can be. The NFL, specifically Mr. Goodell, needs to take responsibility for its players and strictly enforce fair punishment for the sake of justice, not for press or money.

Sources:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11551518/how-ray-rice-scandal-unfolded-baltimore-ravens-roger-goodell-nfl

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/adrian-peterson-s-reported-text-messages-reveals-warped-view-of-manhood-that-goes-beyond-nfl-180045458-nfl.html

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000395758/article/nfl-discussing-intervening-in-greg-hardy-case