The news site of Notre Dame Preparatory School

NDP Gateway

There’s Snow Other Resort Like These!

Anna Zittle, Gateway Writer

Are you looking for a fun activity to try?  Or are you an avid skier/snowboarder looking for a place to go?  You’ve found the article for you!  Skiing and snowboarding are both great ways to get some exercise, have fun, and see some snow in the middle of this abnormally snowless winter!  This list contains just a few of some great ski resorts that are only about 1-2 hours away, and if there’s any others you’d recommend, please leave them in the comment section! (For reference in further text, green circles are ranked as easy trails, blue squares are medium, black diamonds are hard, and double black diamonds are expert trails)

1. Roundtop Resort- This resort is the closest being only about an hour away, and though it’s fairly small, it has a number of great trails ranging from greens to double diamonds. One of its most memorable slopes is Gunbarrel, which is a double diamond course that will challenge even the most expert skiers.  It’s a great place for all level skiers or snowboarders, especially those looking for a challenge, and the close proximity makes it an easy trip with some friends!
  2. Liberty Resort- This is a very popular resort to go to for every skier/snowboarder. Liberty utilizes the front and back of the mountain, putting most of their beginner trails on the front and reserving the back for mid-expert skiers and snowboarders.  This mountain offers a great chance to improve your skiing or snowboarding level, and is also pretty close so it’s another good trip to take with some friends.
  3. Whitetail Resort- Though Whitetail is the farthest resort out of these three, it has a few more trails and is definitely worth the drive. There’s a great section for beginners, and the other side of the mountain offers a lot of blue trails with two diamonds and a double diamond as well.  It’s not the most challenging resort, but it’s still a great place to go, plus the lodge is fantastic!

If you’re looking for resorts farther than two hours, some good ones are Jack Frost, Blue Mountain, Big Boulder, Camelback, and Gore Mountain.  The first three are around the Poconos, and Gore Mountain’s a farther resort in New York.  Wherever you’re skiing or snowboarding, be sure to stay safe, and have fun!

The resort map pictured is for Roundtop Resort, and the links below are to Liberty and Whitetail’s trail maps.

http://www.libertymountainresort.com/winter-sports-liberty/mountain/trail-maps

https://www.skiwhitetail.com/winter-resort-map