5 Tips and Tricks for Incoming Freshmen

5 Tips and Tricks for Incoming Freshmen

Anna Zittle, Staff Writer

It is that time of year again. Vacations are coming to an end, school supplies are being purchased, and schedules are being compared by the students, hoping to find friends with the same classes. It is the end of summer, but the start of a whole new school year at NDP. And for the class of 2019 now joining their sisters in the halls, everything is completely new. New faces, new teachers, and new uniforms, including the famous saddle shoes. For some, this may seem like a daunting task, leaving behind the comfort of knowing friends and teachers from middle school for a brand new scene, and nerves are sure to be high with all of the unknown that is bound to come. Here are a couple of tips and tricks for some of the nervous freshmen out there who want some advice from a sophomore sister:

1. Do not worry about making friends. You might feel alone coming to school on the first day and not knowing anyone, but you are not the only one who is in that position. Trying to talk to other girls is the best way to find some people whom you would like to hang out with, and usually makes everyone feel a little less awkward.
  2. Your teachers are not out to get you. I am sure there are stories floating around that the teachers will try to challenge you with homework, but usually if you are in the right phase class, your work will seem manageable.
  3. Changing your phase is totally okay. If you feel that you are not being challenged in a certain class, talk to your teacher about phasing up. If you start to feel like one of your classes is moving too fast and you can not keep up, again talk to your teacher about phasing down. Most of the time the teacher can see when and why you are feeling this way, and it is a fairly simple process to switch to a class better suited for you. This is so worth it, because staying in a class that is not right for you will only hurt you later.
  4. Take every opportunity to do something you are interested in. Freshman year can be a time to experiment with different activities that you might have an interest in, and NDP has so many different clubs and groups to join that you will be guaranteed to find something you like. Do you like sports? If you missed fall tryouts, there are plenty of winter and spring sports to participate in. Do you love acting? NDP runs a musical in the fall and a play in the spring. Are you interested in computers? NDP’s STARS (Student Technology Assistants) is a great group to join. The possibilities are endless.
  5. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. Some people have an innate sense to get things done early. Others, like myself, have a tendency to put off starting a project in favor of watching that episode of Doctor Who that you missed on Saturday. Do your best to start projects early or as soon as you get them, because waiting until the last minute will only stress you out more, and your work will not reflect what it normally would if you put more time into it.

Finally, relax. You are going to find so many great things at NDP and make so many new friends. If you are lost, ask one of the upperclassmen for directions (I promise, most of us do not bite). Have fun with your education, and learn as much as you can while having a great time. Good Luck!