Home of Service!

Home of Service!

Brianna Abraham, Student Life Writer

When you hear of NDP, what comes to mind? Sisterhood, blue dresses, and taco salads? How about service! When I think about service at NDP, so many clubs and activities come to mind. Camp Umoja is an annual summer camp held at NDP over the summer for children who don’t have these simple opportunities. A lot of students jump at this opportunity because it is one of the most anticipated summer events at NDP. Many students say that they benefit from this camp more than the children do because of the relationships they made and the fun they participated in. Another service opportunity offered to students is Douglass Homes. This is an after school activity where Mr. Pomplon, the service director at school, takes the students down to the inner city housing to play games with the kids living there. This is another exciting opportunity because many of the Umoja campers live here, so students have the chance to hang out with them during the school year. Finally, NDP also is involved with the Refugee Youth Project which takes more of an educational approach to service. Students are taken down to Moravia Park Elementary School where they help students with school work as well as playing fun games with them! The best part of service at NDP is that students jump at chances to participate in it. NDP does service like nobody else!