The News about the New Language Lab

picture courtesy of www.ebay.com

picture courtesy of www.ebay.com

Heather Meeder, Staff Writer

Did you know since 1975 we had a language lab! Crazy, right! The language lab at NDP is a great tool for language learning. It is used to perfect our speaking and listening in whatever language we take! NDP offers French, Spanish, Chinese, and Japanese and each of those classes, once a week, uses the language lab! We can use it to listen to Reel tapes, cassettes, or MP3s.

NDP and the students LOVE new technology! When the new language lab was introduced to us on the first day of school in late August, people suddenly became enthralled and amazed with all the new technological advances. Did you know teachers came in two days in August to learn about the new language lab and discussed the beginning aspects about the language lab? A consultant came again so the teachers could further be educated about all the cool aspects of the new language lab!

The language lab is created by the company Sanako. Compared to our old lab, this lab first of all, looks very different. The aisle to the right is more spaced, the dividers were refurbished, the screens now have no keyboards, and there is a remote like device to the left of the screen to operate the controls.

There are many new features to this new and improved language lab, such as the quizzes option on the remote to the left of the screen. Teachers can have true or false quizzes or even multiple choice quizzes. This quiz option is especially handy for listening tests and quizzes. Other features are a second screen and document camera. We are able to watch videos, look at the textbook on the screen, or even watch our teacher write on a word document. This lab focuses on a multi-sensory way of learning incorporating listening, speaking, and touching.

This lab also helps and provides a quiet, distraction free area for students. I know in my French class I am able to watch Capretz (a French in action video series) and focus on the dialogue in the story better when I am in my own area of the lab than when I am in the 20 person classroom. Also, the lab provides the teacher an effective way to understand which students need more help and time to understand the lesson without embarrassing them in front of the entire class.

This lab is centered on the students and centered on their learning. A new aspect coming soon to the lab is the “Bring your own Device” project. One very cool aspect about this lab is that as students, we are able to connect our laptops, iPads or tablets to the computer. It is another interactive way that students can learn and understand a language.

Our lab is very unique and focuses on the growth and prosperity of students.  Language learning is valued and held at a high level here at NDP. Our new lab helps to demonstrate NDP’s continual love for learning and our focus on educating women. This wonderful lab has helped the entire student body to grow as language lovers and learners. Thank you to Ms. Myers and Ms. Mortimer for sharing all this incredible information about the lab, and I hope this information provided an even greater appreciation for the Language Department, the language lab, and all around the languages we are able to take.