Duly Noted: NDP Music

Anna Zittle, Gateway Writer

As Christmas is just around the corner, the music wing of NDP is filled with the sounds of many a Christmas tune.  Music is being prepared for the various concerts such as our trip to St. Agnes School in Catonsville, our Christmas Concert on Wednesday, January 16th, and finally our performance before the ever famous Christmas Liturgy on Friday, January 18th.  Before our concert on Wednesday, I asked some of the girls for some quotes about music means to them, or what their experience in chorus, band, or orchestra has been.  Katie Norden, a freshman in chorus, said,

“Music brings us all together.  It really enhances our sisterhood and even during times like concerts where we all perform separately in chorus, band, or orchestra, the lines just sort of dissolve, and we all are just one big family.”

Everyone involved in the various groups seems to share a similar passion for music.  Angela Estavillo ’18 (band) said, “Music makes me feel alive and is one of my primary creative outlets. On top of that, there’s nothing more beautiful than connecting with others through music; it brings us together because we all feel the emotions that it’s meant to evoke.”  Andrea Gibeck, a junior in orchestra, agrees, “No matter who is in your life, music will always be there.”

Lydia Spurrier, a senior, is halfway through her last year in orchestra,  “We’re all a bit crazy, but it’s been a good time.  For seven years I’ve gone from mediocre to slightly less mediocre.  Thanks to all my fans for always supporting me (*winks*)!”  Even girls who’ve left orchestra still come back to see the concerts.  Gail Medija, a member of the class of 2015 and prior harp in orchestra said, “I love it.  The sense of community is special, and I love coming back to my family.”  Gina Daily-Kelz, a sophomore in band, concurs: “It’s a great bonding experience.  There’s lots of laughter, and it strengthens our sisterhood.”  Mary Lorenz, a freshman from Middle Level, also agrees,  “After being the only person in my [viola] section for two years, there is an even greater sense of community and sisterhood in Upper Level.  Middle Level gave me the confidence in myself to do what I do in Upper Level.”

Whether it be band, chorus, orchestra, or other various parts of NDP’s Music Department, everyone can agree that there is a strong sense of sisterhood that is carried through the air in all of the music we produce.  Whether in class or onstage, the bond we form practicing and performing is one we are sure to cherish for long after we walk through the gateway in our white dresses.

Special thanks to all of the girls that gave their words.  Merry Christmas, and may you have a musical and safe holiday.