Stone Soup Day

Rachel Gitlin, Staff Writer

“Which ingredient do we need to bring again? Is the soup really going to be as good as everyone says?” The answer to these questions asked throughout the halls in the days leading up to Stone Soup Day are “probably some type of vegetable, and yes, of course!” On Friday, November 8th, one of NDP’s long-held traditions begins-Stone Soup Day. The making of this tasty soup starts with each advisory providing either a vegetable, pasta, or broth. These ingredients are then mixed together to create the stone soup served to each student. This process shows that even the smallest contribution from each person can generate a meal to feed everyone in the school.

Each year, a speaker comes to celebrate Stone Soup and to present his or her charity. This year, to celebrate the ever awaited Stone Soup Day, NDP welcomed special guest Father Greg Boyle to speak for the Upper Level students on the Monday preceding Stone Soup. Boyle’s organization, Homeboy Industries, is the largest gang intervention rehabilitation in the world; it provides jobs and transforms former gang members in Los Angeles into sophisticated and caring individuals. José and David, two of Father Greg’s homies, talked about their struggles growing up and how Homeboy allowed them to separate themselves from the violence and fear that surrounded them for much of their lives. Father Greg also stated, “We seek to dismantle the barriers that exclude; no kinship, no justice.” Boyle emphasized the idea that a community without discrimination that is united together is the way to a more accepting, peaceful world. Whether it be a small contribution made to change this environment into a less prejudiced one, or making a huge difference in a city such as Father Greg is, every little act working towards kinship makes a difference.