Run Like a Girl!

Maeve Sheehey, Sports Editor

The Blazer Dash has been an NDP tradition for a while now, but this year it took on a new look. “Run like a girl; run 4 our girls” was blazoned around NDP for weeks in preparation for this year’s race. This new mantra, created by Ms. Sheehey and Ms. Osmeyer, was the theme for this year’s Blazer Dash, and it certainly showed. NDP girls from the Upper and Middle Levels wrote “run” on their arms, legs, and faces in support of scholarship funds. It was certainly a year like no other.

Participation was amazingly high, as well, and a ton of runners gathered on the starting line of this race. There were walkers, runners, and just-plain-cheerers from all different grades of the Upper and Middle Levels. Some NDP teams, such as the Cross Country team, even showed up to direct and cheer on the runners and walkers. These weren’t the only NDP student helpers, though. Volunteers also ran a photo booth full of wacky props, a face painting table, and a moon bounce for all of the kids at the race (and the young-at-heart). “I loved running the face-painting booth at the Blazer Dash,” says junior art student, Liz Liberatore. “It was a great way to hang out with my friends and help out my community!” All of the other volunteers and runners seemed to have a great time, as well.

The Blazer Dash this year was a year to remember, and all the participants seem to agree. There is no doubt that “run like a girl; run 4 our girls” will be the motto for many years to come. Go, Blazers!